Rallying the HIV and hepatitis C communities for equitable and timely access to treatment
No matter what people call it - pharmacare, a national drug plan, a public medicines plan - we’re all talking about the same thing. We need equitable, affordable and timely access to life-saving treatments. CTAC believes that everybody, regardless of economic means, should have access to life-saving drugs.
Since 1996, CTAC has been advocating for equitable access to treatment for people living with HIV in Canada. We believe that a pan-Canadian drug plan is essential to making access to treatment, care and support a reality for people living with HIV and HIV/hepatitis C co-infection. Pan-Canadian pharmacare will reduce illness and death among people living with and at risk of HIV and HIV/hepatitis C co-infection, and has the potential to stem the transmission of HIV and hepatitis C.
An increasing number of coalitions and organizations are leading and joining campaigns to engage the public and political leaders in the movement to create a national drug plan. CTAC is also engaged in this campaigning. We are a member of the Best Medicines Coalition and have endorsed the campaign4nationaldrugcoverage.ca. We will play a leadership role in informing, listening to, and mobilizing the community-based HIV and hepatitis C movements in Canada.
Recent Pharmacare Headlines
New report: Coverage for new medicines in Canada’s public drug plans, 2015 - Mark Rovere ; Brett J Skinner
Pharmacare should be at the top of Trudeau’s agenda - Danyaal Raza Steve Morgan
The time has come for universal pharmacare - Roy Romanov and Greg Marchildon
Pharmacare is finally within reach: Goar - by Carol Goar
What's next for prescription drug coverage in Canada? - Steve Barnes
Opinion: Time to end haphazard pharmacare coverage - Aidan Hollis
- C.D. Howe Institute E-Brief : Feasible Pharmacare in the Federation: A Proposal to Break the Gridlock
- 2015 CTAC and YouthCo Pre-Election Community Toolkit for organizations and individuals who want to support the call for a national drug plan. English français
- Best Medecines Coalition Principles on Pharmacare
- The Wellesley Institute – Low Earnings- Unfilled Prescriptions
- AngusReid - Prescription drug access and affordability an issue for nearly a quarter of all Canadian households
- Unleashing Innovation: Excellent Healthcare for Canada - Executive Summary
- The Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association - VIDEO 2013 - Prescription for Change
- The Canadian College of Health Leaders – National Pharmaceuticals Strategy
- Canadian Federation of Nurses Unions Report : A Roadmap to a Rational Pharmacare Policy in Canada
- The Mowat Centre : Unfilled Prescriptions: The Drug Coverage Gap in Canada’s Health Care System
- PHARMACARE2020 - The Future of Drug Coverage in Canada
- CMAJ article: Estimated cost of universal public coverage of prescription drugs in Canada
Other campaigns or supporters of national pharmacare